Thursday, November 4, 2010

Someone kill me now

I'm listening to Christmas music...  NOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Ok... I'm not a huge fan of holidays.  My dad was a state policeman and for 35 years, holidays were just another day.  Dad went to work and we just did whatever we wanted.  No family get togethers, no traditions, no stress.  Thanksgiving was just an excuse to have a turkey dinner.  Easter was just an excuse for ham.  Fourth of July was just that... the fourth day of July.  If he worked 8 to 4 we had Christmas at 6 am.  If he worked 4 to 12 we had Christmas at 8 am.  If he worked midnights we had Christmas when he got home at 8 am.  Simple, right?  Right.  Wrong.

My mantra (courtesy of Paul McCartney) is "It's just another day."  That doesn't go over very well these days.  Christmas is now a frickin' production!  Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not a total Scrooge.  It's exciting and fun to watch the kids be excited... and that makes them more excited when they see us excited about their excitement.... you get the exciting picture.  The part that really jerks my pickle is all the crap surrounding the fun part.  All the other crap is just that... crap.  It's really about the kids, so we'll survive.  :)

I guess, in the end, I enjoy the music more than the holiday but I broke my own rule... no Christmas till after Thanksgiving!!  I should be punished.  With Christmas music... yeah... that will teach me!

2 comments:

  1. We decided to downplay Christmas this year by only having stockings and a great family dinner. I'm looking forward to it!
    BTW...that's why my favorite holiday is Thanksgiving :) We get up, eat pie for breakfast, start cooking, go to a movie while the bird is in the oven..and eat whenever things are ready. No schedule. LOVE IT.

    ReplyDelete