Saturday, January 8, 2011

There Is Nothing Wrong With Snow

People living in Northwestern PA should realize by now, that we will have snow in the winter.  I am so tired of everyone complaining and getting all pussy about it!

When I was growing up, we went everywhere in the snow, we had school in the snow, we played outside in the snow, we liked the snow.  Now, it's getting ridiculous.  Everyone panics if a flake falls.  Everyone freaks out if there's even a prediction of snow.  I can remember sitting in a classroom in elementary school waiting for buses to get there and we could hardly see out the windows because the snow was so high!  I remember pushing snow with my car to get to a practice in town only to find out that it was cancelled.  It didn't bother me at all, I just drove back home and enjoyed the ride.




Walking outside in the snow is like being in your own world.  Everything is hushed and still.  The large flakes falling around you make you feel as though you are living in a snow globe.  The chill makes every sound crisp and clear.  It is peaceful, beautiful, magical.  I love the snow.

2 comments:

  1. When I taught in Michigan, the parents were told that we would have outside recess every day (unless it rained). We bundled first through fifth graders in boots, hats, scarves, and SNOWSUITS and trudged outside not only for recess but gym too! Once, I got stuck outside with ten third grades in a whiteout. We played a fun snowball game in a tight little circle until the wind stopped and we could see the school again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first snowfall was at River Ridge and I was 31 years old. I sat out on my front porch and marveled at the hush of it. It was breathtakingly peaceful. Of course I was terrified to drive in it for two years, but 10 years later I have made my peace with snow....I have a cold winter to enjoy a mild and green summer, whereas in Texas I had mild winters to forgive the scalding summers.

    ReplyDelete